Saturday, February 03, 2007

Something a bit more positive...

I can't help but notice and reflect on my increasingly shitty attitude in the recent days passed. Instead of posting some negative pissy garbage & turning this into That Other SiteTM v2.0, I'll go in a bit of a different direction.

I approached my supervisor at the clinic this week about the development of a 3-on-3 clinic-based basketball league.

One of our adjunct programs, called the Recovery Center, runs a 4-day weekly program. The guys constantly complain about having nothing really to do, since a lot of the outings that are geared toward building attention to budgeting are mostly shopping in local stores. Well, the guys in the program really aren't that big into shopping.

Now, for Thursday's exercise days, you can't keep some of them off the ball court at the local Civic Center. And a few weeks back, those mugs almost laid me out, playing some tenacious defense that I hadn't seen in a long time.

Of course this got me thinking ... well, this, and the Washington/Detroit game later that week. Why not have a season-based league for these guys? It would give them something to do that is unique to them, something to look forward to every week, and it would make them a part of something that could one day become huge.

We - my colleagues - began bouncing around ideas. Staff could participate, and clients in other programs at the main clinic (but not the Recovery Center) could get involved. Male, female ... it wouldn't matter.

Plus, encouraging involvement in some of the clients is a hassle; some only want to attend one day a week. If they want to be a part of this program, they'd at least have to come two days - one for their treatment days (psychosocial rehabilitation is the main direction), and one for their basketball games/practices.

The more we talked about this at our staff meeting last Friday, the more we all got really excited about it. We have this shitty audit team coming in this month so the clinic get our accreditation for the next three years. After that, we're going full bore into the basktetball program. We even talked about getting a plaque (what I call "those employee of the year plaques") where you can add a plate on it each year with the name of a team or names of players (protecting the privacy of the clients participating in the program would have to be considered) who won that year's tournament.

I'm pretty stoked about the possibility that this presents. As we do more, I'll probably post the updates that I can here. In the wake of all the stupid stuff that's been going on in the world, this has been something that's kept me pretty motivated lately.

Ahhhh ... that felt good. Thanks for letting me share. I feel so close to you guys right now. </ghey>

No comments: