Wednesday, October 03, 2007

SGM Month of Halloween Horror Movie for October 3

"Phantasm" (1978)

From the back of the box: “Michael Baldwin and Bill Thornbury star in the shocker that started it all, in which two brothers discover that their local mortuary hides a legion of hooded killer dwarf creatures, a flying drill-ball, and the demonic mortician known as The Tall Man, who enslaves the souls of the damned.”

The haiku review
Angus Schrimm steals souls
And rules over some midgets.
That dude’s got balls! HAW!

Did you know? This film was referred to as “The Never Dead” in Australia. There was already a film – a popular sex comedy – called “Fantasm,” and God forbid anyone confuse this film with that one.

2 comments:

Ron said...

This movie freaked me out when I was a kid. I never watched it, you see, but in the early days of VHS, when every grocery store and electronics outlet had a movie rental section, I used to camp out at the Food City video section while mom shopped for groceries. Section might be giving it too much....it was an endcap in the front of the store between the soft drink and pet food aisles...but it was stocked pretty well. I would read all the video covers and this movie, above all, made me cringe. I never could figure out the roll that the drill ball played (for a while I thought the drill ball was the only bad guy) and the midget guys were creepy. Phantasm and some old movie called "I Spit On Your Grave" scared me to death when I was 9.

Nate said...

"I Spit on Your Grave" is a nasty rape-revenge female protagonist film. It's pretty disturbing.