Monday, December 17, 2007

Totally random realization of the day

Well, SGM has suddenly returned from being blocked, however these rat bastards have blocked Gmail chat. Interacting with other (non-Yiddish speaking) humans was one of the highlights of my (currently 13-hour) workday. I've always disliked the iron fist that employers use to keep you miserable while working; although I do understand most people can't do what I do, finish my work quickly and accurately while simultaneously surfing the internet.

When I was in 1st Grade, I was tested at the recommendation of a teacher, and the State of TN Board of Ed declared me "gifted", and continued to re-evaluate me every 3 years until my graduation. Now while being gifted never netted me anything more than bragging rights (and occasional teasing from rednecks), it did officially classify me as "handicapped" per the language in Board of Ed doctrine. Gifted students are classified as handicapped because, like tards and people with real handicaps, they have special needs and cannot thrive in a learning enviornment designed for average students. I REALLY wish this same principle could be translated to the workplace, too.

It's not that I object to going to work, working, doing mundane tasks that I don't care about, etc. These all suck royally, I do agree, but I also like living in New York and eating food, so it's an equal trade-off. What kills me to the depths of my bi-polar soul is the amount of my precious, non-refundable time that I'm giving away to someone and something I don't give two shits about. Living an exciting, full life is way more important than making money and it hurts to give my beloved hours away like that. This however can be offset if I'm able to use some of my workday to pursue something I DO care about - in this case, having use of the internet so I can promote my music, enrich my knowledge through Wikipedia, try to holler at pussy, etc. Otherwise you have an un-stimulating, stressful day that leaves you tired and burnt out; stringing too many of those days together leaves you in a condition that I'm far too mentally unstable to handle in the long run.

I wish some sort of allowance could be made in the workplace for the people who somehow display themselves as being a cut above the rest, regardless if they have some "gifted" label or not. Let the kid have his GChat back; he'll still work circles around the rest of you.

Anyway, before I began this rant I was thinking about TNA Wrestling and how despite the fact they have a solid roster, national TV exposure and an emphasis on wrestling vice storylines (which I've been lobbying for), I hardly ever check for them. And I tried to figure out why. And I've determined I don't watch TNA for the same reason I don't use Mozilla Firefox.

Despite the fact I've always had views and tastes that were "counterculture" or even "underground", I've also had a real stubborn-ness when it comes to things that are popular because they offer an alternative to corporate giants. It's like rebellion in reverse. When I was a punk rocker, I got so goddamn sick of hearing about the DIY ethic and lambasting "sellouts" that I used to antagonize punkers whenever possible by talking about how great major labels were, that MAXIMUMROCKNROLL was stupid, and how I couldn't wait to sell out. I have a similar problem as a hip-hopper; after listening to indie nerds rhyme a bunch of big words that don't make any fucking sense, I find myself wanting to hear about head-bussin', rims, money, etc.(Master P and Project Pat are two artists I like to pull out in those cases)

In this vein, I've listened to many an internet wrestling geek (not SGM contributors, we're cool, sharp people) piss and moan about how superior TNA is, and many an IT guy at my job talk about Mozilla Firefox like it finally got them laid after 35 years. And it gets on my nerves.

So despite the fact that both TNA Wrestling and Mozilla Firefox are fine products that deserve their large and growing audience, my character flaws will probably prevent me from becoming a regular customer, cause subconciously I feel like I'm EXPECTED to prefer them, because they're competetion to evil corporate entities. So I'll likely continue with internet browsers that crash and illegitimate midget children because I'm subconciously stubborn.

Today's psycho-analysis of Jake Palumbo was brought to you by DigiCombos, at a less-than-competetive wage.

1 comment:

Ron said...

www.meebo.com -- They may not have locked that one down and it has GoogleTalk