Saturday, April 28, 2007

The SGM Super 30: Video Game #22


X-Men


Mix a "Final Fight" style of gameplay with the ability to have up to four of the six members of the X-Men playing at once (the game's cabinet was huge), and you've got a helluva game. I'd love to have played this game with three other people, 'cause I think the multiplayer aspect, that would have been the stuff.

Your level bosses are Pyro, the Blob, Wendigo, the White Queen, the Juggernaut (bitch!), Master Mold, Mystique, Magneto, and for some reason, three Egyptian statues. The only boss battle cry that stood out for me was "Nothing can hurt the Blob!" A warning that still serves me well to this day. Paperwork got you down? Yeah, well, nothing can hurt the Blob! Amen brother.

1 comment:

Ron said...

When I was in high school, and later when I worked there in undergrad, the Tilt in the mall had a 6-player version of this game. It had two full-sized arcade monitors and was the size of about 4 games put together.

This was one of a fairly long-line of quarter grabbers where you got the hell beat out of you early and oftern. It wasn't like the Avengers game that came out shortly thereafter where the player lost life even if they weren't being touched (I guess this wouldn't have worked with Wolverine). The more people who bought in, the more bad guys on the screen. It was an equal-opportunity money taker.

The only other line I remember was "Pyro will turn you to toast."

The character selection was kind of strange too. Storm, Cyclops, Wolvie, Colossus, and Nightcrawler I can understand, but how Dazzler made it into the game I have no idea. She wasn't a frontline character in 1992 when the game was released (I don't think), so how she made it over a Beast, Iceman, or even Banshee is beyond me.