Thursday, March 18, 2010

Update from SGM Southern Regional Office

As I sit in my office at the end of hour 12...

The unemployment bug is sneaking up on me too. Contract runs out June 30 and, while there is hope for renewal, it will take another serious amount of legwork and favor pulling. It will also take a miracle of epic proportions with the budget coming in from the state legislature. I do, however, have an interview in the Northeast scheduled for Monday. This is staying completely off of the radar on the other page I generally update because you never know which of your friends are interviewing from the same job.

Meanwhile, my blushing bride has had a series of interviews in the Midwest. So this whole long distance thing might be continuing. If I don't get the Northeast, and the one opportunity on the horizon in the Midwest falls through, I'll go to the Midwest and see if I can get a job at Starbucks or Office Max.

The acoustic version of Pearl Jam's Black just came on the audio stream. That can't be a good sign.

3 comments:

Rev. Joshua said...

As a member of the currently unemployed with only part of a Bachelors degree in English, I find it terrifying that persons having a Masters Degree in Psychology and a Doctorate in History are considering returning to retail jobs out of necessity.

Nate said...

Yeah, it's pretty terrifying on this end too. But I'm fairly certain that things will improve for all ... it's just going to have to take time and perseverance.

On the other hand, I didn't get to sleep until about 5 this morning, and was awaken after about two or three hours due to a dream where my most recent job asked me to return, only to fire me after the most arbitrary reasons after two weeks ... during a zombie attack, but I have no real idea where this part came from.

Ron said...

I think things will start looking up soon as well. The economy usually takes a year or so to fix itself which, based on the Wall St. numbers, it looks like we are almost there. For me it takes about another year after that for prosperity to filter down to the state governments to hire new college employees. I imagine that the job market that comes out this fall will be quite good.